Dr Pavčnik was born in 1946 in Ljubljana, where he also went to primary and secondary school. He enrolled in the Faculty of Law of the University of Ljubljana and graduated in 1969. In 1971 he passed the state legal examination, in 1978 he obtained a master’s degree from the Faculty of Law in Belgrade, and in 1982 a doctorate from the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana. His master’s thesis and doctoral thesis were also published as books (Zloraba pravice [Abuse of a Right] (1986), Pravni viri v jugoslovanskem pravu [Legal Sources of Yugoslav Law] (1983)). From 1970 until 1971 he was an intern at the Ljubljana District Court, and subsequently an advisor and judge at the Municipal Court I in Ljubljana. Since May 1973 he has worked at the Faculty of Law of the University of Ljubljana, first as a teaching assistant, starting in 1982 as an assistant professor, and in 1987 as an associate professor. Since 1993 he has been a professor of Philosophy and Theory of Law and State (for the subjects Introduction to Jurisprudence, Philosophy of Law with the Methodology of Legal Argumentation, Theory of Law, and Theory of State). He retired on 31 December 2016.
On several occasions, Dr Pavčnik enhanced his expertise by means of foreign study visits. He was a fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation for twenty three months; he spent most of this time at the Institute of Philosophy of Law and Legal Informatics at the University of Munich and the Institute for Interdisciplinary Research at the University of Bielefeld. In 2001, he received the Zois Award for outstanding achievements in legal sciences. In 2003, he was elected an associate member of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts, and a full member in 2009. He has been a member of the European Academy (Academia Europaea) since 2010, and an international correspondent member of the Hans Kelsen Institute in Vienna since 2012.
He commenced duties as judge of the Constitutional Court on 27 March 2017.
- Marijan Pavčnik, Vom Rechtsstaat zum Richterstaat, in: Jusletter IT 23 February 2017
- Marijan Pavčnik / Friedrich Lachmayer, Der «juristische Syllogismus» als rationaler Rahmen der Entscheidung und seine Anwendung im elektronischen Formularverfahren, in: Jusletter IT 25 February 2016
- Marijan Pavčnik / Friedrich Lachmayer, Moralisches Verstehen des Rechts, in: Jusletter IT 26 February 2015
- Marijan Pavčnik, Der Staat von Leonid Pitamic, in: Jusletter IT 11 September 2014
- Marijan Pavčnik / Friedrich Lachmayer, Die Gesetzesauslegung als (re)produktiver Akt, in: Jusletter IT 20 February 2014
- Marijan Pavčnik, The Principle of Proportionality, in: Jusletter IT 29 June 2011
- Marijan Pavčnik, Begründung der gerichtlichen Entscheidungen unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der Situation in Slowenien, in: Jusletter IT 24 February 2011
- Marijan Pavčnik, Das Prinzip der Verhältnismässigkeit (Thesen für die Diskussion), in: Jusletter IT 22 February 2011
- Marijan Pavčnik, Das «Hin- und Herwandern des Blickes» (über die Natur der Gesetzesanwendung), in: Jusletter IT 21 February 2008
- Marijan Pavčnik, Rechtliche Grundnorm (Pitamic’ Beitrag und Kritik der Reinen Rechtslehre), in: Jusletter IT 16 February 2006
A complete listing of Acad. Prof. Dr. Pavčnik's publications can be found here.